ICAEW.com works better with JavaScript enabled.
Your current browser is not capable of using this site without JavaScript. Please use an updated browser or enable JavaScript to continue.

ACA training in Kenya

Members of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) who have obtained ICPAK membership by complying with its training and examinations requirements can study for the ACA.

Register as a student

What is ICAEW?

ICAEW is the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales. We were founded in 1880 and support more than 150,000 ICAEW Chartered Accountants in 155 countries around the world.

Our members work in organisations in every industry and are on the boards of 77 of FTSE 100 companies. Our ACA qualification is recognised and respected internationally and required by many finance and accountancy firms.

What we do:

  • Ensure the highest professional standards.
  • Promote, develop and support ICAEW Chartered Accountants.
  • Share expertise to advance the accountancy and finance profession.

How is the ACA structured?

The ACA is a combination of exams, practical work experience, professional development and ethics training.

Members of the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK) qualify for credits for prior learning for the first 12 of the ACA’s 15 exam modules.

This means to qualify as an ICAEW Chartered Accountant, ICPAK members need to:

  1. pass the ACA’s three Advanced Level examinations;
  2. complete three years practical work experience with an ICAEW authorised training employer (two years if you hold an ICPAK Practising Certificate);
  3. complete ICAEW’s professional development requirements; and
  4. complete ICAEW’s online ethics programme.

Credit for prior learning

Currently ICPAK members are exempt from paying credit for prior learning (CPL) fees. This offer is available for a limited period of time.


Exams are held in Nairobi. For Advanced Level exams you will book via your online training file. Admission details for your exam will be listed immediately after booking in the application summary page of your online training file.

Tuition providers

A number of providers offer ACA tuition in a variety of delivery methods around the world and online. Read a full list of ACA tuition providers.

Read a full list of ACA tuition providers

Costs of studying the ACA

There are a number of fees associated with completing the ACA and qualifying as an ICAEW Chartered Accountant.

Download brochure

Registration process

When you register with ICAEW you will need to fully complete a registration form:

  • ICPAK members with an ICAEW training agreement. Please return your fully completed application form and all required supporting documentation to applications@icaew.com.
  • ICPAK members without a training agreement and not working within an ICAEW authorised training employer should register online.

You will need to include supporting documents:

  • A copy of your ICPAK membership certificate.
  • A letter of good standing from ICPAK.
  • A copy of your ICPAK Practising Certificate (this is not a requirement, but you will be credited for a year of work experience if you have one).

Securing a training agreement?

There are more than 3,300 ICAEW authorised training employers around the world.

For a full list of authorised training employers in Kenya, please email kenya@icaew.com.

If you are currently working your employer could become authorised. The process is straightforward, free and takes just a few weeks.

Learn how your employer could become authorised

More information

For more information on studying the ACA in Kenya, please contact our student support team:

Student Support Team
+44 (0)1908 248 250

Are you a member of another professional body?

If you are a member of another professional accountancy body you may be able to join ICAEW through one of its reciprocal agreements.

Training internationally

If you want to train for the ACA in another country, you must ensure you are entitled to work in that country. It is your responsibility to understand what work visa you need and how to secure one. ICAEW cannot support you in this process, but your potential employer might be able to offer advice.